Monday, August 22, 2016

DATING AFTER 40

I'm new to this blogging thing so bear with me. I have been single for five years now and I can truthfully say I'm completely over my ex-husband and my marriage. I'm grateful for that relationship because I have been blessed with my beautiful daughter. But she's off at college, spreading her little fluffy adult angel wings, so I think it's time I consider the possibility that time is running out for me to meet the man of my dreams. Oh hell, who am I kidding I'll settle for the man of my naps at this point. Am I desperate? No, but I am aware of my situation. The fact is at least in my town, there just aren't a great number of men appropriate to my age who are available. And I tried dating younger (20yrs younger) but being a cougar just didn't work for me.

I don't do the bar scene. I'd rather not gaze into the blurry red eyes over JagerBombs. Come on people, the days of getting trashed and hooking up isn't even a good idea for twenty year olds so once you hit 40, going to bars looks a bit pathetic. Who am I kidding, it's pretty pathetic at twenty to get sloppy drunk. Not a big fan of intoxicated individuals.

Now for my big reveal. I've tried online dating more than once. It's not the safest avenue to meet someone but everything has a little risk. But there are some really creepy people on the internet and they can appear totally normal man of your dreams perfect until about the third date. That seems to be a magic number for me. By the third date I start to peel away the exterior layers like an onion and spot the little red flags that scream, "Run away!! Now! Run". So far very few have passed the oh so important third date and it wasn't someone from the web.

I have a problem with honesty. I'm too honest too soon sometimes. I've made the fatal mistake of telling someone too many details from my marriage and it sends them running. Instead of appearing honest to a fault, I come across as 'crazy psycho bitch femanazi ex-wife". So of course they headed for the hills and I didn't make that mistake with anyone else.

I also have a problem with trust. I tend to try and believe that everyone are being totally honest and trustworthy when in fact their stories just don't add up. So that's where not only the third date phenomenon crops up but also My Mother. She can smell bs better than anyone I've ever seen. Yes, I still talk to my mom about my dates. After all, she is an unbiased spectator to what is going on in my life. And she's hardly ever wrong. It takes a really sneaky creepy guy to get past her.

With all that being said, I still am trying meeting online. Why? Because like all the Disney Princesses I have hope and I believe in romance, true love, and happily ever after. Without hope the world turns gray. It all comes down to believing in God's plan for me. He knows my prayers for him to bring a God-ly man into my life and he will answer in his time. I'm just not sure if he'll use the internet to do it. So remember this hopeless romantic in your prayers tonight. Can't hurt, right?

No comments: